CBD & Athletic Performance
In recent studies in to CBD and its impacts on the performance of athletes, there have been very promising results for those who use CBD. In addition, there has been zero evidence that CBD could harm their performance or cause any type of harm. So, if you’re worried about CBD negatively impacting your next game, you can let that worry go.
Here are some of the benefits of CBD that have been confirmed, and let me tell you. They're pretty amazing:
- CBD has been known to suppress inflammation throughout the body, which means it can help overworked muscles recover faster. (Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Carolina, School of Medicine)
- CBD has also been known to reduce pain, so it’s a natural alternative to NSAIDs (like aspirin or ibuprofen) for those with mild injuries or sore muscles.
- CBD may help with concussion symptoms after a particularly hard hit on the field, however research is still ongoing. (Concussion Alliance)
- CBD’s calming properties can help athletes relax after a stressful or charged game, so that they can get some sleep. (Chicago Health)
- Similarly, CBD can help athletes cope with the pressures of competition, because it’s known to help alleviate anxiety and stress.
Is CBD for athletes allowed?
CBD is permitted by both the World Anti-Doping Agency and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, and no major sports leagues have continued testing for it. But at the same time, there is one rule you should know; only cannabidiol (CBD) is allowed in sports.
So, great. CBD is allowed. What’s the problem?
The problem is that ever other part of the cannabis plant is still banned, which includes THC. That means that you have to be sure that your CBD doesn’t contain any other “tag-along” compounds from the cannabis plant, which is where True North Wellness comes in. We take very significant precautions to ensure that there is no THC detectable in any of the products that we are selling.
The best and safest way to know that you’re getting pure CBD is to use CBD isolate. You’ll also want to only buy from companies that can provide third-party lab test results to prove that their product does not contain THC, which can most certainly be provided to you by True North Wellness on request.
Athletes who use CBD
One of the reasons that CBD has become such a hot topic in the sports world is that several pro athletes (or retired athletes) have started vocally advocating for more athletes to use CBD.
Especially for sports where injuries are common (like contact sports), CBD has been a source of relief for these athletes. Several of the most prominent athlete advocates for CBD include former NHL players Paul Bissonette (Biznasty), Riley Cote, Jeremy Roenick, and Zac Rinaldo as well as David Ahrens, a former NFL linebacker.
Other notable athletes who use CBD are MMA fighter Nate Diaz and NFL player Derrick Morgan. Diaz uses CBD to combat inflammation in his muscles. Meanwhile, Morgan uses CBD to help with a brain condition he sustained after repeated blows to the head (an unfortunate hazard of pro football). These CBD athletes are blazing a trail for other athletes to explore methods outside of prescription pills to manage the impact sports can have on the body.
About True North Wellness:
True North Wellness was founded in 2019 in Ottawa, ON and is dedicated to providing a unique consumer experience for athletes seeking the benefits of hemp. By providing carefully selected brands and a unique suite of diversified products, True North is the leading retailer and the #1 choice of Canadian athletes for the purchase of hemp-derived products. True North Wellness helps Canadian’s everywhere Prepare, Perform, and Recover. Follow us on Facebook (@tnwellness) and Instagram (@thetruenorthwellnessco) for exclusive promotions, and exciting content!